The semantically intagible ramblings of a cynical 26 year old kid, who has a professional job and still acts like a 17 year old moron. Oh, and he would appreciate your opinion, because mine might be jaded.

Monday, September 12, 2005

"Finding" Myself

In many fields you don’t really stumble upon people who are ‘interesting’ or ‘cool’ but rather ‘creepy’ and ‘boring.’ I have had this pleasure while doing work at such 5 Star shit dumps as the Clerks Office and Pep Boys Part Tires and Service. And while advertising does have an eclectic array of personalities and allows you to work ‘sans’ shower with alcohol still fresh on the tongue I decided to change all that. This will all be altered with my new ‘job transition.’ I needed to find the thing that was missing from my life. Now ‘finding Jesus’ would have been the easy, obvious ‘go to’ choice, but with my upbringing I would have surely failed that background check. After countless years and classes I think I have found the job that will bind body and soul. I have decided to become a detective.

I know what you are thinking..."You lose everything you own including your cell phone, belt, shoes, virginity and underwear, how are you going to find anyone or anything." Easy…practice and training. I will begin by hiding things around my house each week when I am drunk. In the morning when I awake I will take stock of what I am missing, and then 'track' those things down. This would mainly take place on the weekend and will serve as the foundation for my detective skills.

I will also sharpen my mind. I will do this by buying the board game "Guess Who." I will challenge people around the neighborhood until I have beaten them all. In case you don't know, "Guess Who" is a game of wits, skill, and anticipation in which one must deduce who the assailant is through a serious of detailed questions. These range from eye color, to gender, to fashion accessories. An example would be "Is your person wearing red glasses” Opponents Response: "Yes". Then you go in for the kill and the victory. "Is your person Bob?” If you are correct the game is over and you have correctly 'guessed who.' These are just building blocks, to further my development along until I achieve substantial detective skills. I will also start out small, as an entry-level detective. (Detectives with 0-2 years experience). I will specialize in lost puppies and kitties until I get my feet wet and gain the necessarily experience I need to move up.

My clients will consist of children ages 13 and under.... I will receive cookies and jokes as payment, although the experience I gain cannot be measured in rewards. Eventually I will move up to stolen cars and the like. Finally, I will be a full-blown detective, searching for missing children, much like the ones I used to work for. This will give me a competitive edge over other detectives because I will understand the victims since I have experience working close with them. (I will be the complete package). So this is my new plan, I figure I should achieve senior level detective by my 30th birthday as long as everything goes right and I don't 'lose a victim' or 'don't solve a case.' Anyone else have any career aspirations??

15 Comments:

Blogger Wendy Kurtz said...

http://www.crimescene.com/ - a bit premature, I know, since you are just starting out, but once you've graduated from the 101 self-structured detective course (brilliant self-study program you've outlined there), it should provide hours of glee for you.

And, if you need a good study guide, try the CSI and Law & Order computer games (hey, it's just research for my homicide novel).

2:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I totally hate to sell you out, but I have to remind you that this idea surfaced in your twisted little mind many, many years ago. It's a great idea, but not a new one...you can't fool me. Seriously, when are you going to quit your day job (don't answer that) and start writing for real?

3:15 PM

 
Blogger MeSmartNo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:20 PM

 
Blogger MeSmartNo said...

crimescene.com and video games, that's like grad school for those who got by "Guess Who." I did watch "Mindhunters" last night with Christian Slater. Then I profiled myself and realized I am a FUCKIN LOSER for watching that movie.

EBETH: Easy newbie, I already said some might have read this in the email...revamped of course but it still needed to be published because of the applicableness of it...haven't you ever had a dream???

3:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You lose everything you own including your cell phone, belt, shoes, virginity and underwear"

You forgot dignity and hair.

With Love,
Erin

6:06 PM

 
Blogger MeSmartNo said...

Erin,
Congratulations on the wedding; you just lost your independence, any excitment that may have been left in your life and option to change your mind.

I wonder if you will be divorced before I get fake hair??

Good luck!

6:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't newbie me. There's a difference between "some have read this before" and straight-up old material. Sometimes you just need to be put in your place. Also, what's this about your hair? Has it really changed so much in one year? Do we need to start spraying it on? Just kidding...

7:48 AM

 
Blogger MeSmartNo said...

What is the difference between you reading something before and it being older...isn't that why you read it before, because it existed prior?

I'll look hot 'sans' hair so I am not worried...or I will be wealthy enough to get the fake stuff. Either way, I am hot.

9:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After seeing you on Fri nite, then leaving for Buffalo the next morning, I am offering you an entry-level detective challenge....That is, to find my Upper-Decker that I left in Canada...Hint - Men spend lots of cash there...

Oates

6:25 AM

 
Blogger MeSmartNo said...

All I have to do is criminally profile you like ALL good detectives do. We know he likes cut off jeans shorts. We know he likes leather vests and chaps. Now all we have to figure out is what kind of establishment would a crazy mad Russian upper deck?

Profiling is 75% of the battle when it comes to detective work.

Tenille

2:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom stole my cut-offs, so I may have to make a new pair. Or just go to Mississippi and search any of the blown down houses! My pleather cowboy outfit is safely hidden, for now, though!! Question: What is the other 25% of detective work, Columbo?

Captain

8:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

E-Beth is right, this is old. Here I was thinking I was the only one to have participated in your quest to conquer Guess Who...apparently you have swooned many women with this 'new revelation'...get new material.

6:02 PM

 
Blogger MeSmartNo said...

If you don't know what the other 25% OF detective work is, that you aren't ready then are you.

And did no one read that some of you may have read this before? It's about dreams for Christ Sakes (Note: I do not believe in Christ).
You are a black cloud ms anonoymous....a black cloud indeed.

6:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you f-in asshole! (It's OK he's used to it) It's a G-D damn thing I SAVED THE "I'm gonna be a detective" email from May 16th 2003! Because this blogger work of art has been saved in my email since, which gives me the full rights to it. Especially when it comes true you jerk. It's okay, you left all the really good parts out in your greedy haste to get published. i will have the exclusive rights to this piece in minutes just try and stop me... Oh... Wait... What's that?... Close your eyes... Listen... Hee hee... Its my hysterical laughter in the background Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Get a job ya bum! (Or I'll sue You)
Love, Jill

10:23 PM

 
Blogger MeSmartNo said...

You sick and twisted Ocean City wanderer...Under my list of people I don't trust i file anyone who saves my emails from May of '03....oh wait...i forgot...I am that DAMN GOOD. (I will search my sent mail and claim rights if you ever try to publish that story...you fraud!)

Hey, like most greatest hits compilations, this one has ONE original hit...the Detective story. You love it...you know it.

Talk to you soon Jilly!!!!

1:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home